Current:Home > FinanceJapanese carmaker that faked safety tests sees long wait to reopen factories -FundPrime
Japanese carmaker that faked safety tests sees long wait to reopen factories
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 11:04:58
TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese automaker that cheated on safety tests for decades said Monday it doesn’t expect to resume shipping cars any time soon.
The Japanese government ordered a subsidiary of Toyota to halt production of its entire lineup after reports of faked safety test results emerged last year.
The Daihatsu Motor Co. skipped mandatory safety tests by copying data from testing on one side of cars to the other, and used timers to ensure airbags went off in tests, a review found.
No major accidents have been reported in connection with the cheating, but the news has raised serious questions about oversight at Daihatsu, as well as its corporate parent Toyota.
Japanese regulators approved five of the company’s models on Friday after more testing, but company leadership said factories will remain shuttered as it waits on suppliers.
“We face a very tough road ahead in winning back customer trust about safety and security,” corporate manager Keita Ide said Monday, stressing that customers felt betrayed. He said the company is working on a plan to prevent cheating in the future.
Daihatsu is known for kei cars, or light automobiles, including the popular Daihatsu Tanto “kei,” or small, car. It also produces the Toyota Raize hybrid sport-utility vehicle, also sold as the Daihatsu Rocky.
An investigation including third-party experts found 174 cases of faked tests affecting dozens of models, including cars sold under the Toyota Motor Corp. nameplate. The review found that cheating went back 30 years.
The scandal began after a whistleblower came forward in April last year. Daihatsu has apologized and promised sweeping reforms of its corporate culture. Daihatsu President Soichiro Okudaira has attributed the cheating to pressure on workers to meet tight deadlines.
Daihatsu said there may be recalls, although none have been announced yet. Japanese media reports said the recalls are likely to total more than 300,000 vehicles.
The Toyota group has been rocked by similar scandals before, ensnaring truckmaker Hino and Toyota Industries Corp., which makes engines, machinery and vehicles. That’s prompted some questions about the leadership of Chairman Akio Toyoda, the former chief executive and grandson of Toyota’s founder.
“The standards of governance at the Toyota group are being questioned,” nationally circulated Sankei newspaper said in an editorial. “Getting to the bottom of this is needed, as consumer trust in the overall Toyota brand is at risk.”
___
Yuri Kageyama is on X https://twitter.com/yurikageyama
veryGood! (17927)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Derek Hough Shares Wife Hayley Erbert Is in the Hospital After Emergency Surgery on Her Skull
- DWTS’ Julianne Hough Shares Message After Derek Hough’s Wife Hayley Erbert Undergoes Skull Surgery
- The Best Family Gifts That Will Delight the Entire Crew This Holiday Season
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Tarte Cosmetics 24-Hour Flash Deal, Get $212 Worth of Makeup for Just $60
- Actress Keisha Nash, Forest Whitaker's Ex-Wife, Dead at 51
- Who Is Benny Blanco? Everything to Know About Selena Gomez's Rumored Boyfriend
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Moo moo Subaru: Enthusiastic owners take page from Jeep playbook with rubber cow trend
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Applesauce recall linked to 64 children sick from high levels of lead in blood, FDA says
- Medicare open enrollment ends today. Ignoring the deadline could cost you
- A St. Paul, Minnesota, police officer and a suspect were both injured in a shooting
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Suspect in Texas killings tried to escape from jail, affidavit says
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein Dies Unexpectedly at 51
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
US Sen. Kevin Cramer’s son charged with manslaughter in crash that killed North Dakota deputy
Why Prince Harry Says He and Meghan Markle Can't Keep Their Kids Safe in the U.K.
Judge allows emergency abortion in Texas in first case of its kind since before Roe v. Wade
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Bobsled, luge for 2026 Milan-Cortina Olympics could be held in... Lake Placid, New York?
Youngkin calls for increased state spending on child care programs
A Chinese military surveillance balloon is spotted in Taiwan Strait, island’s Defense Ministry says